Palm City Retirement FAQ
1. What is Sandhill Cove?
Sandhill Cove is a vibrant waterfront community specifically designed for active, independent-minded people age 62 and older. We offer services and amenities that make life easier and more enjoyable. You can participate in educational and recreational activities, join a club, attend community parties and get-togethers, swim, garden and take fitness classes — all just outside your front door.
Our attentive staff takes care of everything — from housekeeping to maintenance to the landscaping. Plus, you have easy access to the essentials — from restaurant-inspired dining to banking services and a hair salon. Because we’re a LifeCare™ community, you even have full and unlimited access to on-site nursing care.*
2. What is LifeCare™ and how does it benefit me?
LifeCare™ at Sandhill Cove gives you an all-in-one package of flexible services and amenities at a predictable cost. Plus, with LifeCare™, you have everything you’ll likely ever need in one place. From apartment homes and villas for independent living to the area’s most advanced assisted living option to rehabilitation therapies, skilled nursing services and more, we have it all right here. That way, should any aspect of your lifestyle change over time, including your health, you can feel secure knowing you never have to move to another community or worry about who will take care of you. In short, LifeCare™ helps prepare you for life’s “what ifs.” Only Sandhill Cove offers LifeCare™ in Martin and St. Lucie Counties.
3. What are the residential options at Sandhill Cove?
- One- and two-bedroom garden independent living apartment homes, as well as apartments in our waterfront building, Waterside. Depending on the style you choose, additional features may include a den/home office, guest bathroom or patio.
- Two-bedroom, two-bath attached villas. Features include a den/home office, a lanai or enclosed sunroom, porch and one-car, attached garage.
4. Is Sandhill Cove pet-friendly?
Yes! Your cats or smaller-size dogs (up to two cats or two dogs under 30 pounds) are welcome at Sandhill Cove.
5. What are the fees at Sandhill Cove?
There are two types of fees: a one-time entrance fee and a monthly fee. The entrance fee, which you pay to move-in, guarantees you unlimited access to skilled nursing services in our on-site Health Center. Our flexible Return-of-Capital Plan refunds 80% of your entrance fee back to your estate. A Traditional Plan is also available.
The recurring monthly fee covers all the services and amenities you use everyday. Both fees depend on the type and size of the residence you choose.
Possible tax advantages may allow you to categorize a percentage of both the entrance fee and monthly fee as a medical expense. Check with your tax advisor.
For specific fee information, call us at (772) 220-1090 or toll-free (800) 782-8066.
6. Will monthly fees increase?
Yes, it is reasonable to expect modest annual increases in monthly fees to offset increases in the cost of utilities, staff salaries and operating expenses. However, you will be notified in advance of any price increase.
7. What services do you offer?
Sandhill Cove makes it easy to breeze through your day with a variety of helpful services. Unless otherwise noted, your monthly fee covers these services:
- Choice of one daily meal in our on-site dining venues (additional meals available for a fee)
- Concierge to assist you with groceries and packages, coordinate travel requests, provide dining and entertainment information, etc.
- Weekly housekeeping and flat linen service
- Full indoor/outdoor/groundskeeping maintenance
- Complimentary scheduled transportation to Cummings Library, local worship services, shopping centers, grocery stores and special events
- Planned events and special activities, in addition to on-site amenities (Some off-site activities may require a fee. For example, symphony tickets or the cost of joining neighbors on a planned cruise.)
- Personal trainer available to create a customized wellness plan for you for a fee
- Reiki, massage therapy and acupuncture for an additional fee
- Registered Dietician available to assist with meal planning for special dietary needs for a fee
- A full continuum of health services provided in our on-site Water’s Edge Health Center, and always in a private room. See health center detail for ancillary cost information.
- Home Health Services in the privacy of your apartment or villa
- Assistance in living program (some additional fees may apply)
- 24-hour security and emergency response
- Utilities (except phone and electric)
- Transportation to medical appointments
8. What amenities do you offer?
- Casual poolside dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner at The Cove Grill Room
- Formal restaurant-style dining in The Sandhill Club Dining Room
- Auditorium for hosting plays, concerts and guest speakers
- Outdoor swimming pool and whirlpool
- Fully equipped Fitness Center for cardio and strength training
- Walking and biking trails
- Dock for boating and fishing
- Waterfront croquet and bocce ball courts
- Putting green
- Arts and crafts studio
- Woodworking shop
- Gardening areas
- Card and game room
- On-site bank
- Postal services
- Hair salon
- Cocktail lounge
- Nurse Practitioner Clinic for flu shots, blood pressure checks, first aid, etc.
- On-site Water’s Edge Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nearby golf and tennis
9. What activities do you offer?
Sandhill Cove’s calendar of activities includes a broad range of recreational, educational and wellness-related choices, all of which change from month to month. Here is a sample of the types of activities we offer.
- Trips to museums, art galleries, the symphony, ballet, opera and theater
- On-site concerts and plays
- Art classes and woodworking
- Croquet and bocce ball
- Guest speaker series and travelogue series
- Golf just minutes away
- Computer classes
- Book club
- Fitness and nutrition classes
- Wii® games
- Bingo, bridge, dominos, puzzles and mahjongg
- Knitting group, crafts
- Bus trips
- Ping Pong
- Ballroom dancing
- Mens football huddle
- Fitness classes
- Special luncheons including monthly birthday celebrations
10. What are the dining options?
We serve breakfast, light lunches and a full dinner menu at The Cove. Happy hour is held in our cocktail lounge, and for lunch or dinner, you can enjoy fine dining in the Sandhill Club. Our flexible dining plan can also be used to cover guest meals.
Special menus are available if you’re interested in ordering a meal for delivery or placing a special order from our kitchen. Catering services and The Coral Reef private dining room are also available for personal entertaining and special events.
Learn more about our dining options.
11. What health services are available at Sandhill Cove?
It’s comforting to know that Sandhill Cove is a LifeCare™ community, specializing in providing a continuum of care options in one place. The Medicare/Medicaid-certified health center is open to everyone and boasts the highest staff-to-resident ratio in Martin County (much higher than the national average).
- Outpatient and Short-stay Rehab Therapies
We offer a variety of therapies, including physical, occupational and speech. Whether you’re recovering from an injury or require a rehabilitating treatment, we can tailor an outpatient or short-stay program just for you.
- Skilled Nursing Care
From recuperative care after an illness or surgery to attentive, around-the-clock skilled care, we offer both short- and long-term options that fit your needs.
- Assisted Living/Extended Congregate Care
The highest level of assisted living available, our Extended Congregate Care (ECC) license offers you the ultimate in flexibility. We can provide supportive, personalized services beyond the scope of most assisted living communities. In short, if your needs change, you don’t have to move. You can continue to enjoy the comforting and familiar setting of our beautiful community.
- Memory Care
At Water’s Edge, our staff provides highly specialized memory care with patience and compassion. Residents have the flexibility to participate in individual and group activities and explore their personal interests in a safe, nurturing setting.
- Respite Care
Everyone needs a break from time to time especially when caring for a family member. We offer Respite Care for loved ones while caregivers catch up on rest and tend to work obligations and family matters. By taking time for yourself, you’re not only protecting and caring for your own health, you’re ensuring you’ll be a better caregiver.
12. Do I have to pay to use the Health Care?
LifeCare™ at Sandhill Cove means you receive skilled nursing care in our health center, regardless of how long or how often, without paying a daily fee — ever.* The only additional cost above your regular monthly fee is to cover the two extra meals you’ll eat per day plus any ancillary costs such as prescriptions, IV therapy and personal laundry.
Other services such as chiropractic care, acupuncture, massage and outpatient rehab therapies are available at additional cost and may be covered by your private health insurance or Medicare.
Visits to see a Nurse Practitioner in our Clinic are covered by your private health insurance or Medicare. However, some items such as the flu vaccine may incur a nominal fee.
13. What if I already have long-term care insurance?
LifeCare™ at Sandhill Cove may actually complement your long-term care policy. Depending on the terms, you could receive the daily benefit paid by your policy while receiving long-term care at Water’s Edge, our on-site Health Center. You could even apply this benefit toward your monthly fee. Check with your insurance broker to verify specific benefits of your policy.
If you intend to rely on your long-term care policy alone, you should consider that:
- Long-term care policies typically cover only a portion of health care costs for a limited number of days. Check your policy closely.
- Long-term care policies do not guarantee availability in any particular health care center. As a resident of Sandhill Cove, you’re assured access to Water’s Edge.
14. Who owns and manages Sandhill Cove?
We’re managed by Life Care Services of Des Moines, Iowa. With four decades of experience, Life Care Services is the nation’s leading and most progressive force in senior living, currently serving more than 26,000 residents daily in over 80 communities nationwide. For more about Life Care Services, visit www.lcsnet.com.
15. I have more questions. Who should I call?
Call us at (772) 220-1090 or toll-free (800) 782-8066. We’ll be happy to answer your questions, send you more information, or give you a tour.
*Please see contract for details.